The New Hampshire Republican Party held its convention last weekend with more than 400 delegates in attendance. The delegates voted to strengthen the already-good pro-life language in the platform. On marriage, an effort to remove reference to one-man-one-woman marriage failed. Here are a few highlights:
- The delegates adopted this courageous, positive statement about marriage: “Recognize marriage as the legal and sacred union between one man and one woman as ordained by God, encouraged by the State, traditional to humankind, and the core of the Family.”
- Delegates chose to substitute the word “pre-born” for “unborn,” as a more life-affirming term. The first sentence under the Family section of the platform now says, “Support the pre-born child’s fundamental right to life and personhood under the Fourteenth Amendment, and implement all Constitutional and legal protections.”
- The existing plank promoting alternatives to abortion has been made more emphatic. “Encourage individuals and organizations who provide alternatives to abortion by meeting the needs of mothers through adoption, support, counseling and educational services to meet the needs of the family.”
- The Republican platform continues to affirm policies that promote school choice.
- The platform also opposes the use of casinos or slot machines as a budget-balancing gimmick.
As nonpartisan groups, Cornerstone Policy Research and Cornerstone Action are advocates for policies, not parties. When a party gets on board with good policy, we take notice. Cornerstone’s policy work goes on regardless of any party platform. We understand that not every member of a party will hold to every platform plank. We think it’s significant, though, that the platform planks summarized above were adopted by a large and diverse group of civic-minded New Hampshire neighbors.