The State’s #1 Interest in Marriage- Children
1) The government recognizes marriage as unique and timeless because of the role of marriage in providing each child with a mom and a dad.
2) Marriage is about a child’s right to have a mom and a dad, not adults’ demands for state approval of any relationship.
3) Even the best moms cannot be dads, and the best dads cannot be moms. The state should not signal that dads or moms do not matter to children.
4) Same sex “marriage” encourages more motherless and fatherless homes, when we should have fewer.
5) We should continue to rebuild and restore marriage, not undermine and redefine it.
Redefining marriage irrevocably changes society.
1) Public institutions such as schools, business, and charitable organizations are forced to promote the marriage redefiners’ agenda, to include homosexualizing school curriculum against the will of parents.
2) Once marriage is arbitrarily redefined to mean same-sex couples, there is no good argument against another legislature calling any other type of relationship “marriage.” At that point, the institution of marriage is pointless.
Marriage redefiners are attacking fundamental freedoms as part of a nationwide[g1] intimidation campaign against those who support marriage as the lifelong, faithful union of one man and one woman.
1) Ocean Grove Camp Meeting Association’s- right to use its private property in a manner consistent with its Christian beliefs was attacked by activists in New Jersey demanding to use the Methodist ministry’s worship pavilion for same-sex ceremonies.
2) Elaine Huguenin, a New Mexico photographer, was ordered by a state court to pay a $7,000 fine for respectfully declining to photograph a same-sex “commitment” ceremony.
3) In Massachusetts, David Parker, was arrested and charged with “trespassing” at his son’s elementary school during a scheduled meeting with the principal and the town’s Director of Education over his objections to pro-homosexual materials.
4) Marcia Walden (a licensed counselor) was asked to counsel a woman in order to help “repair” her same-sex relationship. Because of her Christian faith, Ms. Walden had a “values conflict” and referred the woman to another professional, in accordance with the conduct rules of her profession. The new counselor commended Walden on her recognition of the conflict and her professionalism in making the referral, and called the counseling she received “exemplary.” Later that same day, this woman complained to Walden’s supervisor, calling her “homophobic.”Walden was fired. (Walden v. Ctr. for Disease Control and Prevention)
5) In 2009, Eastern Michigan University school officials dismissed a student from the school’s counseling program for refusing to abandon her Christian faith as a condition for graduation. The school dismissed Julea Ward, a woman of strong Christian faith, from the program because she would not agree to affirm homosexual behavior and would not retract her stance in subsequent disciplinary proceedings. (Ward v. Eastern Michigan University)
Government Intruded on the Institution of Marriage
1) The state legislature forced same-sex marriage on NH voters, without getting their opinion.
2) Marriage is society’s single best guarantee of a smaller government that stays out of family life.
Count it a blessing if the anti-freedom and anti-marriage agenda has not yet impacted you, but don’t be deceived. It will. Now is the time to vigorously and courageously support the restoration of marriage in New Hampshire.
Information and verbiage for this piece was compiled from “‘Same-Sex’ Marriage- Frequently Asked Questions…Reasonable Answers” © 2011, and other documents by the Alliance Defense Fund and “Eroding Religious Liberty and Freedom of Conscience” and “Arguments Against Homosexual Marriage” by the Illinois Family Institute